This post was originally published on June 20th, 2019. Updated for September 22nd, 2020.
Knowing your target audience is a key part of reaching them on social media. Before you get to know your target audience, you need to define who they are. You also need to determine where you can find the people who fit the parameters. Only after you know who your target audience is, can you create ads that speak to them. After you know and properly market to your audience you will watch your business grow. Keep reading to learn more about how to define your social media target market and how to reach them.
What is a Social Media Target Market?
Your target market is not “everyone” even if it feels like anyone can use your product or service. A target audience is a specific group you want to reach with your marketing efforts. Your target audience consists of the people who are most likely to use your products and match some type of common characteristics.
Determining Your Target Audience
If your target audience is not immediately identifiable, you can conduct some research to find them by following these steps:
- Compile data on your current customers
- Check your website and social media analytics
- Check out what your competition is doing
- Make sure the value of your product or service is clear
- Create a target market statement
- Test your social media adds on your target segment
- Make revisions as necessary
Finding Your Target Audience
Once you know who your target audience is, you need to find them on social media. Although that may seem like a daunting task, it does not need to be. Here are some tips on finding your defined target audience:
- Have customer personas that define who you want to work with
- Know which platforms to find them on by asking your current customers identifying questions
- Narrow your parameters so you are not seeking too many people
- Create a custom audience on Facebook and then ask Facebook to create a “lookalike” audience
- Look in Facebook groups that match your industry
You Need to Know Your Target Audience
Knowing your target audience and being able to find them is crucial for the success of your business. Knowing who your audience is and how to find them allows you to plan a better marketing strategy. This helps create targeted ads that will encourage the right people to use your products or services. When you align your marketing with your audience’s interests, you increase your chances of turning them into customers. Plus they will be customers who trust your brand.
It’s important enough to say again. Defining your target audience and finding them on social media is crucial to the success of your business. If you need help determining who your audience is or want to know more about how to find them on social media, Technology Aloha can help you. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Listen to this post on our podcast!
Into the Inbound with Technology Aloha