Productive Days Start With These 10 Questions
January 21, 2015
It’s hard to believe, but we’re a little more than halfway through the first month of the year. If you’re like me, you look back over the past three weeks, and think to yourself, “Wow, I need to get more done!”
Sound familiar? If so, here are ten great questions to start every day with. They will help you set the tone for your day, and if you make them a habit, they will help you get more done in 2015 than you ever thought possible!
And really, who doesn’t want to be more productive?
“Today is going to be a productive day.”
That’s what you tell yourself as you get out of bed in the morning.
However, before you know it, you are 15 minutes late leaving the house for work. You arrive having missed the beginning of your first appointment. Then, you realize that you forgot the paperwork for your afternoon errand.
How could you have been better prepared?
Planning for Your Day
Everyone has had one of those days when your day is already off the rails before it gets started.
Getting your day in order should be done each morning, before you leave the house.
It’s about knowing in advance what you need to do, where you need to be, and having the materials/information to get your work done.
Here are 10 Productivity Questions to ask yourself everyday:
- What is on your TODAY list? You may have a todo list a mile long, but what are the tasks that you absolutely must get done today? This sub-list of tasks is your TODAY list. Know what’s on it.
- What is on your calendar today? What appointments and meetings do you have today? Do you have any time reserved for yourself or is your entire day already booked?
- What do you need to bring with you? Again, review your Today List and calendar to make sure you have the materials you need for your day.
- What is your number 1 task for the day? Simply put, what is your single most important task today. If you get only 1 thing done today, it will be this task. (Hint: Do it early and get it done.)
- What is one task that you could do today that you wouldn’t have? – Sometimes you just can’t get going. So do one low energy task. These extra steps make all the difference to feeling productive, which turns into being more productive.
- What are you doing that you shouldn’t be? – What are you doing that should be on someone else’s plate? Maybe it isn’t your task, or perhaps it is something you should be delegating.
- Where will you waste time today? You probably know where/when/what you will waste time on today. Think about this in advance. It could be the daily gossip session at work, a game on your phone, or surfing the web. What can you do to avoid these time wasters?
- What new habit do you need to practice (DO) today? You are what you do today. What habit do you need to do today (and every day?) Don’t put it off. Read that book, fit that workout in… Whatever yours is… get it done.
- What step toward your goals will you take today? BIG Goals are done day-by-day and step-by-step. Among all the hustle and bustle of the day, what step forward toward your goals will you take?
- What will you learn today? If you are not learning each day, you are becoming obsolete. What will you learn during the course of your day?
Now you’re ready for a Productive Day!
Founder + Executive Director
Marketing Strategy, Business Optimization & Web Development
Jillyn is a business process and strategy expert. She has nearly a decade of Fortune 100 experience and has spent the past eight years helping small businesses and nonprofits expand their success. Along with the day-to-day operation of the Technology Aloha business and team, she stays involved with every project we work on.